Mirroring /boot with s/w RAID

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Oct 25 07:46:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 01:54, Michael Mansour wrote:
>  --- "Christopher K. Johnson" <ckjohnson at gwi.net>
> wrote:
> > Mike McMullen wrote:
> >
> > >1) What's the best way to create a bootable
> > mirrored system that survives one drive
> > >    dying given what I said above is accurate?
> > >
> > This can be done with grub very easily:
> >
> http://www.dirigo.net/tuxTips/avoidingProblems/GrubMdMbr.php
> >
> > Chris
>
> This is a good solution as I once had the pressing
> need to do this when the first drive failed.
>
> It seems to me though that this needs to be performed
> each time an update to grub is done, including kernel
> RPM updates.
>
> So if you use the technique, remember to do this.

Why would you say that? It's not necessary to reinstall grub when you do
a kernel update on a non-RAID system, so why do you think it's necessary
to do it on a RAID box? Once it's installed (on both disks), that should
be it. You should only need to tweak the install on the second disk when
you tweak it on the first, e.g. after installing a new version of grub
due to an OS update. Or am I missing something?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>