router causing ssh etc. slowdown?

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Mon Oct 25 08:23:47 UTC 2004

> Today I installed a Netgear wireless 802.11b router, model MR814 v2.
> $10 after rebate at Staples, and now I can finally use my
> wireless-enabled XP laptop in my living room.

[snip]

> My gripe comes when I try to SSH to my FC2 box from my laptop, going
> through the Internet (ssh <external-router-ip>)

Most NAT routers don't work properly when you connect to a (forwarded)
port on their public IP from a host on their own LAN.

> The connection goes through, but SSH is sloooooooooow.  Characters
> take several seconds to appear.  Same thing with VNC.  If I try these
> services using the internal LAN IP (ssh 192.168.0.2), then it of
> course works flawlessly.
>
> I have port 22 forwarded on the router to 192.168.0.2.

Good.

> I used to be able to SSH into my Linux box from work to check on
> stuff.  Now it's so slow that it's unuseable.

I would expect it to work fine.  I have a customer with a MR814 v2
running older (5.0_00) firmware; no problem with forwarding.
Did you test while physically at your work machine?  If not,
by what means were you accessing work's desktop?

--Stewart