Rereading .bash_profile

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 25 13:20:58 UTC 2004

I'm in the process of setting up a modest array (20-30 elements) for
BASH to pluck an element from when needed. Since the array won't change
for months once it's set up, I decided to put it in .bash_profile as I
have done with this test array, testan:
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH
unset USERNAME
EDITOR=nano
export EDITOR

unset testan
declare -a testan
testan=("AA" "BB" "CC" "DD" "EE" "FF" "GG" "HH" "II" "JJ" "KK" "LL" "MM"
"NN")
export testan
This does what I intended:
[rj at mavis rj]$ echo ${testan[ $RANDOM % 13]}
II
[rj at mavis rj]$
...except that constantly logging out and in while testing is a royal PITA.

What is the proper way cause .bash_profile to be re-examined?