Fedora For Kids

Mark Haney mhaney at interactsys.com
Mon Oct 25 15:13:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 11:01, Robin Laing wrote:
> Christof Damian wrote:
> > Is anyone working on a "Fedora For Kids" ? I know there is a project
> > like this for debian (Debian Junior
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/index )

> > christof
>
> Standard FC1 with added games and such.
>
> My 2 (almost 3) loves playing some games.  Set up his own account.
Each of my 4 kids has their own machine with their own accounts.  I use
squid and iptables to lock them to specific sites they can visit.  They
pretty much have to ask permission to get a new one bookmarked and
allowed.  My 5 year old has no trouble getting to the games and web
stuff because the icons on FC2 are pretty large to begin with (and are
huge on a 21-inch flat screen.)  My 8 year old does all her work in OOo
and knows how to save in Word format to take to school.  My 10 year old
does that same, but has access to more sites and is able to make certain
changes to her desktop, etc.  She even has her own GPG key for email and
such.  My 13 (almost 14 year old) loves Fedora and nearly failed a
computer skills test at her Junior High School because she doesn't know
Windows that well.  I personally don't see any need to try to customize
Fedora for kids.  Besides, if they know it now, they won't be too
bothered by it later.

> My 7 (almost 8) does school work and other stuff.  Her own account.
>
> Both have configured Mozilla bookmarks to educational/game sites as
> appropiate.
>
> In both cases, put applications on the bar for ease of usage.
>
> Linux gives me the tools to work with and try applications to ensure
> that they are useful.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney at interactsys.com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux