Fedora For Kids

Edward Croft ecroft at OPENRATINGS.com
Mon Oct 25 16:08:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 09:43 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> Same here: For kids ages 16, 10 6 and 3. Currently testing out FC3T3.
>
> All have their own accounts (except for the youngest). All are using
> Firefox equipped with Flash Plugin and play their favorite games at
> Cartoonnetwork.com, Disney's sites and Nickelodeon.com. Local games like
> Tux Racer are big-time hits for them.
>
> The oldest two regularly use OOo for homework papers, as well as a
> variety of the other tools.
>
> TuxPaint is also popular with the youngest two. Great on FC2, but not
> installed on FC3T3. Newbreed Software (http://www.newbreedsoftware.com)
> just released an update by the way. Downloading that now to check out.
>
> ..and yes, I can say with confidence that, thanks to FC2/3, Linux on the
> desktop has become simple enough that a 3-year-old can use many basic
> features. He has a great time! My 6-year-old is quite proficient as a
> user too.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Let me add to that. We mostly use FC2 at home. I have a bootable XP
partition, but it is so farkled that it is almost unusable. My wife, and
my two kids use FC2 now. My daughter, eleven, has her desktop configured
to her liking and has put on her own background, moved her task bar to
the right side, and a few other tweaks. I have never suffered through
the spurious pop ups that I get under XP. I believe that they came from
a website that my daughter goes to Dollzmania. My son, nine, enjoys
playing the games, though he loves his PS2 more. I just need to get a
version of tank wars (Scorched Earth). He loves that game. Too bad Snood
wasn't available.
My wife plays games on Pogo, which uses Java apps. So everyone is
happy.
--
Edward M. Croft
Sr. Systems Engineer