Choosing kernel automatically at Boot - Beginner -

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 26 07:04:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 02:33, James McKenzie wrote:
> Patrick:
>
> You should modify only the original file, not the symlinked file.  I
> found that I could not edit a soft linked file on one occassion and that
> I could edit the original file.  Thus I edit only /boot/grub/grub.conf.

This behaviour will be because of the editor that you used. Most
Unix/Linux editors directly edit the file you tell them to edit, and
write out the changes to that file. Such an editor would work properly
with the symlink. Some editors though will edit the file but write out
the changes to a temporary new file, rename the original file with some
"backup" extension like "%" or "~" or ".bak" and then rename the
temporary file to have the original filename. Such an editor will have
renamed the symlink and the new file will not have been written to the
linked-to file.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>