kernel-2.6.9, sources and ATI.

Remi COLLET liste at famillecollet.com
Tue Oct 26 08:20:26 UTC 2004

Hi,

On my FC2 box, I've just built and installed,
(from [a_mirror]/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development) :
  	dietlibc-0.27-4.src.rpm
  	kernel-2.6.9-1.640.src.rpm
	mkinitrd-4.1.18-1.src.rpm

So i'm running this new kernel now (for testing it before FC3).

I've understood that modules could be build using
	/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

No problem for my USB modem (sagem Fast 800, using eagle-usb-1.9.8) but
for the ATI driver version 3.14.1 files in :
	/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.640.root/build/drivers/char/drm
are expected (drm.h, drm_proc.h) by the make process.

I could make the driver (and run 3D acceleration) when i put files from
the sources tree in this directory (with previous versions of the
kernel, i'm used to install kernel-sourcecode pakage).

My questions is (to make FC# better and because i'll like to understand):

	- should ATI change something in there driver (we can dream)
	- should Fedora include the drm* files in the /lib/modules tree

Cordialy.