How are fedora kernels modified from vanilla kernels

Javier Perez pepebuho at pananet.com
Tue Oct 26 10:07:15 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>>If I want to recompile the kernel (I might have to do it to solve a ACPI
>>DSDT problem with a laptop), what should I used, kernel-sourcecode or
>>kernel src.rpm?
>

> What are your skills in handling SRC.RPMs? I prefer to have an RPM, so I
> choose the kernel SRC.RPM, i.e. when I patch in the user-mode-linux
> patch. (Yes, with the kernel-sourcecode you can run "make rpm" too, but
> the the makefile uses a much more basic spec file to create an RPM.)
>
> Alexander

If i figure it right, it means that the src.rpm gives me the patches AND
the plain vanilla kernel. So If I want to recompile I still have to
apply the patches to bring the version of my kernel up to whatever point
number is being used, 2.6.8.1-521, for example. That is before I do the
menuconfig thing.

Am I right?

Javier