Any suggestion for good linux books?

Daniel Stonier snorri_dj at operamail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:04:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:38:19 -0400, Clint Harshaw
<clint at penguinsolutions.org> wrote:

> ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>      I have been with linux ( initially with redhat 9, now with
>> Fedora-core 2). I hav fair amount of computer background.(Since my
>> Bachelor degree was in Computer Science engineering). Can somebody
>> suggest good linux books for me. I have tried some but of no success.
>> Either they r too basic or too complex. I now the general concept of
>> OS, Networks, etc. I hav not formally had any leasons in unix or
>> linux. Little knowledge that i gained was through HOWTOs, info. Now i
>> wish to become an EXPERT in linux. I am not inclined to do
>> courses(certifications), want to do my own study. Your suggestions
>> would b great.
>>  Thank you,
>>  with regards,
>> ashwin

I actually found most books quickly out of date or as you say too simple. I
was fortunate in sharing an office with a previous system admin who was a
dry
well of linux information. He rarely ever told me how to solve something
but
always pointed me in the right direction. Sometimes infuriating to begin
with -
specially when he ordered me to open up vim every time we looked at a
problem :)

In the end it was the best way to learn. Decide on something you want to do
(home networking, remote ppp activation, internet sharing,
web-php-databasing),
do some googling to find out what you need - this doesn't always work at
which
point its worth asking someone for some pointers (e.g. the list) to the
programs you might
need to use and then google some more. The info on the net is guaranteed
to be up
to date which is invaluable, and the cool thing about linux'ing is that so
many
people are willing to re-contribute back to the community information
they've
gleaned in their experiences.

Over a period of about two years you gradually become very efficient in
solving problems
and rarely need any guidance at all. The biggest hurdle is in accumulating
enough
knowledge to understand what you find on the net initially :)

Learning some basics in programming in linux is also helpful if you
haven't already.
e.g. using shared/static libraries, compilation issues. makefiles etc.

Cheers,
Daniel Stonier.

email:snorri_dj at operamail.com
http://members.optusnet.com.au/stonierd/