Dovecot or Cyrus

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Oct 26 14:52:01 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 26.10.2004 schrieb Bryan O'Sullivan um 7:08:

> It is, but when you run dovecot in compatibility mode (on mbox format
> folders), you gain very little performance benefit over UW-imapd.

That is not true. Hard drives love prefetching and mbox is fast if you
have an index. And dovecot does indexing.

> Cyrus is a pain in the neck to administer, but it has some features
> (mainly virtual users) that were not available in dovecot until
> recently, and it probably still has some features that dovecot doesn't.
> That said, it has very little active development or support, and
> terrible documentation; I migrated from Cyrus to dovecot six months ago,
> and wouldn't go back.

Well, Cyrus-IMAPd is feature rich and powerful. From that it is clear
that it is not that easy to setup and administer. But running a mailer
server (MTA and IMP/POP3) is very complex at all.

And it is wrong that the Cyrus-IMAPd is little developed. I don't know
from what you conclude that. And there is support by authors and user
community. There is a good wiki and a mailinglist.

> 	<b

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 16:45:43 up 6 days, 13:25, load average: 0.01, 0.16, 0.17