Security....

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Tue Oct 26 15:03:36 UTC 2004

Everyone,

I've actually had to lock down most ports on my server; because, I got
tired of all the attempts at attacks.
Everyone, please use a firewall.  I've noticed many attacks to the
following ports:
    111 -- sunrpc  ** this effects Linux machines
    135 -- DCE Endpoint Resolution
    137 -- netbios-ns
    139 -- netbios-ssn
    445 -- microsoft-ds  ** these affects samba services as well.
  1433 -- ms-sql-s
  1434 -- ms-sql-m    ** I don't know why SQL ports are being attacked.

   1023 -- ???
   5554 -- ???
   9898 -- ???  ** this group may be related to PCAnywhere, or Worm, etc.

The most active:  port 445 by far!

Just giving everyone a heads-up on the security issues.
James Kosin