yum vs. up2date

Peter Volsted pvolsted at image.dk
Tue Oct 26 19:23:38 UTC 2004

hi

linux r wrote:
----- snip

> I have problems with yum sometimes.  Like if I say 'yum update
> packagex', it will update my entire system, or try to anyway.  That is
> the syntax from the man page.  I haven't seen what option turns that
> off.  Does anyone know if yum has a '--force singlepackageonly' type
> option?

Doesn't man yum with: "update If  run without any packages, update
          will update every currently installed package.  If one or more
          packages are  specified,  Yum will  only update the listed
          packages.  While updating packages, yum will ensure that all
         dependencies  are  satisfied.   If  no  package  matches  the
given
         package name(s), they are assumed to be a shell glob and any
         matches are then installed."  answer both your questions?

--
good luck

peter