rsh on Fedora

V Krish krish_uses_linux at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 22:18:08 UTC 2004

I added 'rsh' to /etc/securetty and also pts/0 through pts/7. I am now able to rsh to localhost. But I still can't do a password-less rsh from root on another host though I have added the host-name to .rhosts on the server??

Thank you - Krish

"C. Linus Hicks" <lhicks at nc.rr.com> wrote:On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 21:24, V Krish wrote:
> I want to use rsh on an internal machine running FC2
> but am unable to do.
> "rsh localhost" gave the message "Connection refused"
> Then I changed rsh to "enable" in /etc/xinetd.d/rsh
> and rlogin. I restarted /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd.
>
> When I try to rsh into the localhost, connection is no
> longer refused but it does not accept the usual
> password !

You didn't say, but if you are trying to do this as root, there are
other things you must do as well. You must add 'rsh' to /etc/securetty
and you will probably also have to add a few of 'pts/0', 'pts/1', etc.

--
C. Linus Hicks