manually booting fc2 install from cd's

Jacob L E Blain Christen dweomer+fedora at entheal.com
Tue Oct 26 23:04:40 UTC 2004

>>> Is there any way to manually run the install program from the iso
>>> cd's.
>>> My cd-rom drive/pc bios does not support booting from cd-rom's

I recently had a problem that amounted to the same thing; coulnd't
boot off CDROM's (the Sam's Fedora Core2 Book came with 2 CD1 !!).
I ended up getting a minimal linux install on the machine and
then just copying vmlinuz and initrd.img from the FC2 media's
/isolinux directory onto my /boot drive. I then edited grub.conf
to point to these 2 files and rebooted.  All proceded as normal
after this step.

What's important to helping solve your problem is just getting
a viable boot drive setup so that you can copy over those 2 files.
Use an old RedHat copy or something, picking the most minimalistic
install options.  Once that's done you should be good to go.
--
Jacob