Security....

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 27 02:23:22 UTC 2004

James Kosin wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I've actually had to lock down most ports on my server; because, I got
> tired of all the attempts at attacks.
> Everyone, please use a firewall.  I've noticed many attacks to the
> following ports:
>    111 -- sunrpc  ** this effects Linux machines
>    135 -- DCE Endpoint Resolution
>    137 -- netbios-ns
>    139 -- netbios-ssn
>    445 -- microsoft-ds  ** these affects samba services as well.
>  1433 -- ms-sql-s
>  1434 -- ms-sql-m    ** I don't know why SQL ports are being attacked.
>
>   1023 -- ???
>   5554 -- ???
>   9898 -- ???  ** this group may be related to PCAnywhere, or Worm, etc.
>
> The most active:  port 445 by far!
>
> Just giving everyone a heads-up on the security issues.
> James Kosin

James:

A visit to www.symantec.com (yes this is the web site for
Norton/Symantec Antivirus) reveals that most of the attacks are directed
at known vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows and/or Internet Explorer.
The 'hit' on 111 (sunrpc) usually reveals what operating system you are
running.  However, a good firewall will stop these probes.  BTW, there
is a well known and patched vulnerability in most Windows products with
TCP Port 445.

James McKenzie