manually booting fc2 install from cd's

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 27 06:40:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 07:04:40PM -0400, Jacob L E Blain Christen wrote:

> I recently had a problem that amounted to the same thing; coulnd't
> boot off CDROM's (the Sam's Fedora Core2 Book came with 2 CD1 !!).
> I ended up getting a minimal linux install on the machine and
> then just copying vmlinuz and initrd.img from the FC2 media's
> /isolinux directory onto my /boot drive. I then edited grub.conf
> to point to these 2 files and rebooted.  All proceded as normal
> after this step.
>
> What's important to helping solve your problem is just getting
> a viable boot drive setup so that you can copy over those 2 files.
> Use an old RedHat copy or something, picking the most minimalistic
> install options.  Once that's done you should be good to go.

While they are still handy get and burn a set of RH9/FC1 install media
that can boot from floppy.

There are a number of tricks to get there from here but
at some point you have to do some surgery and need floppy
based tools.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy