Adding NIC drivers to FC1 install CD?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Oct 27 07:12:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 21:46, Mark wrote:
> I just bought a Dell PowerEdge 750 and want to install Fedora Core 1 on it.
> Everything seems to work fins so far, except I don't have network, because
> FC1 doesn't have the right driver.
> It should not be a big problem since IBM apparently offers Linux drivers for
> this mainboard.
>
> My question is this: once I am done compiling a driver that works, is there
> a way to create my own FC1 install CD with this driver one there, so that
> the installer is going to find the Network and install it the same way as if
> it knew it all along?
> Or even better, add it to an FC1 boot CD, load the network driver and then
> do the rest of the install over the network with a kickstart file?

Yes, this is possible. You'll need to build an i586 driver for the
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel and add it to the moduleball in your modified
boot.iso. If the driver module depends on any other modules, you'll need
to know what those dependencies are, and you'll also need to know the
PCI ID for the network card so that anaconda can detect it.

If you can build the module, find the dependencies and the PCI ID, the
rest is fairly straightforward and I can explain it later.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>