Multiple Network Cards

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 12:07:15 UTC 2004

Paul,

> What script? You've overwritten the existing /etc/rc.d/init.d/network? You
> shouldn't need any script on Fedora.

Well, I had, but I've put the original back in place.  After restarting
networking everything still looks the same and behaves almost the same.
The only difference now is:

   [root at turner root]# arp -a
   ? (192.168.1.10) at <incomplete> on br0

but I still can't ping either way, in or out.

> Can you ping localhost?

Yes, the bridge machine can ping both localhost and the bridge IP (192.168.1.64)

> Can machines on different segments of the bridge see each other?

I only have one arm on the bridge - while waiting for some crossover cables
to arrive which should be here later today.  But the behaviour of the machines
on that arm seem perfectly normal.

I don't know if this is significant, but it doesn't seem to make any difference
which of the three NICs I plug the cable to the rest of the LAN into.  How does
the bridge know which machines are on which arm and when does it work that out ?

Jonathan