Multiple Network Cards

Leonard Isham leonard.isham at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 12:17:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:07:15 +0100 (BST), Jonathan Allen
<jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> > What script? You've overwritten the existing /etc/rc.d/init.d/network? You
> > shouldn't need any script on Fedora.
>
> Well, I had, but I've put the original back in place.  After restarting
> networking everything still looks the same and behaves almost the same.
> The only difference now is:
>
>    [root at turner root]# arp -a
>    ? (192.168.1.10) at <incomplete> on br0
>
> but I still can't ping either way, in or out.
>
> > Can you ping localhost?
>
> Yes, the bridge machine can ping both localhost and the bridge IP (192.168.1.64)
>
> > Can machines on different segments of the bridge see each other?
>
> I only have one arm on the bridge - while waiting for some crossover cables
> to arrive which should be here later today.  But the behaviour of the machines
> on that arm seem perfectly normal.
>
> I don't know if this is significant, but it doesn't seem to make any difference
> which of the three NICs I plug the cable to the rest of the LAN into.  How does
> the bridge know which machines are on which arm and when does it work that out ?
>
> Jonathan

I have to ask what you are trying to accomplish?  Why did you choose bridging?

Do you know that a switch is a multi-port bridge?  Here is a link to a
5 port 10/100/1000 switch for less than $100.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=313454&pfp=SEARCH

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.