SATA HardDisk not detecting

John Swartzentruber jswartzen at despammed.com
Wed Oct 27 14:05:25 UTC 2004

On 10/27/2004 12:34 AM Randy Kelsoe wrote:

> Rajiv wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>         I want use SATA Hard Disk. But Fedora is not Detecting the
>> Hard Disk. I have connected the SATA Hard Disk as slave with the IDE
>

> That is hard to do, since the cables are completely different. Are you
> sure this is a SATA drive? Are you using a SATA to IDE adapter? What
> model of SATA drive do you have, and which SATA chipset is your
> motherboard using?
>
>> Hard Disk (which is also having Fedora ) and Installed some driver
>> available in the MotherBoard CD. But the SATA HardDisk is not detected.
>> I want to know what driver to use for SATA HardDisk to be detected?
>> Thanks in Advance.
>

> We need to know what SATA chipset your motherboard is using. (an lspci
> will tell you). Which driver you use is dependent on which chipset you
> have. You might check dmesg and grep for SATA and look at the lines
> after the SATA entries if they exist.
>
> The kernel version you are using can make a big difference, as well. I
> have the Si3112 SATA chipset, and until kernel 2.6.7, my drive was
> detected as a PATA drive (/dev/hde). Since 2.6.7, my drive is seen as
> a scsi drive (/dev/sda). We need more information before we can help you.

Can anyone tell me whether this kernel change is a bug or is the
intentional design? More specifically, how does 2.6.9 detect SATA
drives? When 2.6.8 came out, it broke things, so I went back to an older
kernel. If this change is permanent, I will edit my fstab and try to get
the new kernel to work.