Intro to services

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Wed Oct 27 14:30:56 UTC 2004

Bill Matthews wrote:
> Hello.  New linux user here.  Downloaded/installed Fedora FC2.  No
> problems, I was amazed!
>
> I have a lot of Windows experience, and some Solaris.
>
> I installed the server version of Fedora.  I setup and have working
> sendmail, vsftpd, httpd, etc.
>
> But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
> my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
> start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start them
> with the command 'service whatever start'.
>
> But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
> the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do it
> here?
>
> thx,
> BM

If you're using the "Graphical" login, use the "Start/RedHat"
button-->System Settings-->ServerSettings-->Services for
most services.  There's a special problem with Sendmail
because they wanted to make sure that unknowledgable users
don't accidentally create mail/spam relays.  There's a
separate thread on this list (and documentation in
/usr/share/doc I'm told) about really setting up mail.