Intro to services

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Oct 27 15:10:12 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 10:23, Bill Matthews wrote:
>Hello.  New linux user here.  Downloaded/installed Fedora FC2.  No
>problems, I was amazed!
>
>I have a lot of Windows experience, and some Solaris.
>
>I installed the server version of Fedora.  I setup and have working
>sendmail, vsftpd, httpd, etc.
>
>But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
>my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
>start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start
> them with the command 'service whatever start'.
>
>But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
>the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do
> it here?
>
>thx,
>BM

Generally speaking, the /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever is not a script, but a
softlink to the real one in /etc/rc.d/init.d.  ls will show if the
links are good.  If it is good, but is not running, is there some
error thats causing a premature exit of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)