Intro to services

Shane Presley shane.presley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 16:05:51 UTC 2004

Wow thanks everybody that was an awesome explanation.  I'm not using a
GUI, so chkconfig is the piece I was missing.  I understand it now,
and I've turned on the services I want via chkconfig.

Also thanks for the explanation of runlevels as opposed to how Solaris
handles them.

One additional question.  I want to add a new service.  I have a
network monitoring tool that I want to run at startup (BigBrother).  I
read the man pages of chkconfig, and it doesn't provide a lot of
detail on how to add a new service. chkconfig --add is easy, but I'm
not sure what scripts it would need.  Any advice on how to add a new
service?

Or I suppose I could just create a script in the appropriate /etc/rc directory.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!