OT: Political Spam - what can you do about it?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 27 18:45:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, redhat wrote:

> I have a customer on our system (we're local ISP) that fancies himself
> quite the political spinmeister.  He absolutely inundates people with
> his (what I call) SPAM email.  We have received numerous complaints
> about this guy from all over the US (mostly colleges that he targets)
> requesting that this guy be shut down.  He even "attacked" me one day
> not knowing who I was and told me that he would sue us if we tried to
> take his email privileges away and gave me a link to some government
> site with various documents on what "is" email spam and what is "not"
> email spam.

as i read it, what you're referring to above is what is defined as
SPAM for legal *prosecution* purposes.  it has little to do with what
you, as an ISP, can define as to what is acceptable behaviour for one
of your customers.  surely he had to sign a contract when he joined
on.  did that contract not define at least some boundaries on what is
acceptable account usage?

remember, you're not trying to *sue* him.  all you really want to do
is get rid of him as a client, and that's *way* easier to do, unless
you entered into a long-term contract with him.

rday