Sendmail Access.db help

Yang Xiao yxiao2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 20:18:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:51:19 -0400 (EDT), Dave Lester
<dlester at davenet.org> wrote:
> Yang Xiao said:
>

> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to prevent anyone from spoofing incoming mail as internal
> > users. Example, my domain is mydomain.com
> > I don't want to anyone to connection to my mail gateway and send
> > emails as user at mydomain.com from the outside.
> >
> > I thought this can be done by access table and it's working. but the
> > problem now is that it's rejecting local mail that it's trying to
> > forward to the mailhost as well, how can I fix this?
> >
> > #access table
> > # Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf file for a description
> > # of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
> > # The /usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.cf is part of the sendmail-doc
> > # package.
> > #
> > # by default we allow relaying from localhost...
> > 127.0.0.1               OK
> > localhost               OK
> > From:localhost          OK
> > To:localhost            OK
> > From:mydomain.com           ERROR:"550 Everything that has a
> > beginning, has an end."
> >

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Yang
> >
> > --
> >

> Have you read this:
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti_spam.html#access_db
>
> If you are refusing to relay your own domain that is why you are rejecting
> local mail, you can try putting in a rule that allows whatever network you
> are using.
>
> like this
>
> 192.168.1.0         OK
>
> --
> =======================
> Dave Lester
> dlester at davenet.org
> http://www.davenet.org

Yes, but it's local email generated by cron jobs that was intended for
user root, and root is aliased to postmaster at mydomain.com. Also, when
I try to send an email locally from the machine to user at mydomain.com,
it also gets rejected. However, sending it from a different machine
will not. So adding the network IP won't fix this problem.

Yang