Permissions for mounted NTFS drive

Giulio Sorrentino numerone.fedora at wooow.it
Wed Oct 27 23:14:03 UTC 2004

Mark Knights wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have mounted my two XP NTFS drives successfully however am having
>troubles with accessing them.  I can get temporary access by going in as
>root and setting permissions to all users for modify and read access but
>that dies after about an hour or so.
>
>My etc fstab lines look like....
>
>/dev/hda1 	/mnt/win1 		ntfs 	nosuid,rw	0 0
>/dev/hdb1 	/mnt/win2 		ntfs 	nosuid,rw	0 0
>
>and that mounts them fine at boot.
>
>I found this thread at Fedora Forums
>http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22035
>which suggests I use;
>
>/dev/hda1 /mnt/win1 -t ntfs -r -o umask=0222
>
>in fstab so I tried it out.  It worked like a charm and gave me full
>access to the drives.  But, when I reboot it does not remount the drives
>and when I go to mount or unmount other things it tells me that the
>lines that contain that code contain errors?
>
>Can anyone give me a foolproof way for these drives to be mounted on
>startup and allow full access to all users?
>
>Cheers
>
>Mark

The fstab sintax is different from the mount one. I suggest you man
fstab for more information.
The ntfs driver does not permit writing files except the one you want
write has the same name and the same dimension of the one that is on the
disk because the reverse engineering of NTFS is not complete and a
complete writing support may damage the filesystem and cause a loss of data.
There is a project named "captive" that permit a complete write access
because is a wrapper of the Microsoft NTFS driver.