Setting up SMTP?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Oct 28 02:02:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 15:41, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 08:16, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > May I ask, what do you use the MSA for? I believe it's only for a
> > _local_ mail submission.
>
> You're confusing it with the MSP

Sorry. .My Bad
> .
>
> MSP: Message Submission Program
>
> This is for locally-submitted mail on your server. sendmail runs using
> the submit.cf configuration file, queues messages in
> /var/spool/clientmqueue and attempts to deliver the mail on to the MTA
> running by default on port 25 of localhost.

Note : It's not necessary for there to be a MTA on port 25 running on
localhost, YOu can change the in /etc/mail/submit.cf and change

D{MTAHost}[127.0.0.1] to point to the ISP's mail relay.

> MSA: Mail Submission Agent:
>
> A mail server for submitting mail for delivery from other Internet
> hosts. Listens on port 587 and will relay mail once the client is
> authenticated. Intended for "roaming" users so that they can send mail
> from their regular SMTP server wherever they are (including on ISPs that
> block outgoing port 25 connections).

How do you configure your email client then?? eg: in my case I use
evolution and I instruct it to pass the mails to sendmail. (on port 25 I
presume)

> > But what is the difference then to just point
> > the submission to port 25 default?
>
> Port 25 is the MTA, mainly there for accepting delivery of incoming mail
> (but also for relaying out messages originating within the
> organisation). The MSA is intended exclusively for submission of
> outgoing messages.
>
> > I can understand the usage of MSA is only port 25 is closed and you're
> > not running as a mail-hub from internet.
>
> I use my MSA all the time. I never have to change mail settings,
> wherever I am.

Again.. to recap.
you don't have sendmail running on port 25?
You have sendmail's MSA running on port 587.

How is your email client configured?
Outgoing emails are sent to the MSA, which in turn relays it out to the
ISP's mail-relay?

All this while, port 25 is not used at all? How do you get your mails
then? You pop/IMAP them?

I personally pop them from my server using fetchmail, pass them to the
local sendmail on port 25 for spam/clamav scanning before being
delivered locally.