Setting up SMTP?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Oct 28 04:11:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 11:44, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > > No, the MTA is listening on port 25 for connections by other MTAs.
> >
> > And this MTA is sendmail?? If it is, then the answer should be Yes to my
> > original question. Correct(?)
>
> The answer is No to your question - the answer is no affirmation of your
> negative question / statement. Sendmail is running as the MTA on port
> 25. Sendmail is listening both on port 25 and 587.

After reading and re-reading, I finally realised my grasp of English
Sucks.

Okay.. Understand

> > > My server has a static IP and has valid DNS entries (forward and
> > > reverse) and this way the usage of a smart host is not necessary.
> >
> > Okay. That's fine for you then. what about DSL/Dial-up users? Smart host
> > would be necessary right?
>
> Yes, dial-in users should use the ISP's relay host because meanwhile
> many mail server admins block incoming mail from dynamic address space
> (i.e. AOL).
>
> > But alas, I'm still at a loss on how to fully utilise my MSA port 587
> > via Evo or from the command line.
>
> The same as you would use the MTA on port 25.

Okay.. I think I've figured it out. I was using the option on the
Sending Mail Tab "sendmail", instead what I should have done is to use
SMTP and put in "127.0.0.1:587" and that should do it.

Works for local delivery mail.