Setting up SMTP?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Oct 28 07:58:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 15:33, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 03:02, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 15:41, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > How do you configure your email client then?? eg: in my case I use
> > evolution and I instruct it to pass the mails to sendmail. (on port 25 I
> > presume)
>
> I use evolution too. On the "Sending Mail" tab I have:
>
> Server Type: SMTP
> Host: mymsa.mydomain:587
> Use secure connection (SSL): Whenever possible
> Server requires authentication
> Authentication Type: DIGEST-MD5

yeap.. I finally tried that and it works well. Now, there isn't the
additional overhead due to the milters for outgoing mails. Thanks

> > Outgoing emails are sent to the MSA, which in turn relays it out to the
> > ISP's mail-relay?
>
> My MSA doesn't relay via my ISP except for certain domains that won't
> accept mail directly from my (static) DSL connection. I could if I
> wanted to have all outgoing mail relayed via the ISP though.

Which means??(what?)

Evo->MSA(port587)->MX? (or it forwards to your MTA on port 25?)

> > I personally pop them from my server using fetchmail, pass them to the
> > local sendmail on port 25 for spam/clamav scanning before being
> > delivered locally.
>
> That's a perfectly fine approach. I guess you only have the MTA
> listening on localhost, as per the default Red Hat config?

I did, and then I messed around and I found out about the MSA.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Curious on the "my MSA does not Relay via my ISP"

Nowadays with the SPF and RBL list etc.. sending out directly to the MX
is a bit of a pain.  I know.. I know.. I should use the ISP's relay.