Gnome system monitor applet

Graham Campbell gc1111 at optonline.net
Thu Oct 28 12:41:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 03:16, A. Lanza wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I use to have the Gnome system monitor applet on my panel to have a
> better understanding of what's happening on my system at a given time.
>
> I think i do not have a good understanding of the average load meter. It
> stays very low, <10%, most of the time, even when CPU time usage and RAM
> memory usage are near 100%. Any idea of how is to be intepreted average
> load meter?
>
> Thanks

Without looking at any code, I will tell you what I have assumed it
represents. I assume it is one of the load averages reported by the
uptime command. As I understand, these they are averages over different
periods of time of the number of processes in the CPU queue. I also use
the system monitor applet and I think the reason it stays so low is
simply a graph scaling issue. Fire up several cpu intensive jobs (maybe
just adding 1+1 many times) and you will see it climb up a bit.
--
Graham Campbell <gc1111 at optonline.net>