Thinking on a "smart upgrading" to the near FC3

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Oct 28 15:00:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:57:21PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >>What I do think is that there must be a different way to do a fresh
> >>install without needing to reformat the whole HD. I think that it is
> >>only necessary to reformat the /boot and the /  (root) partitions.
> >>Anyone has the "grand-mommy" recipe?
[snip]
> Leaving /usr and /var (the OP only wanted to reformat / and /boot) could be
> asking for trouble though; if you really want to keep your existing
> settings I'd be inclined to go for an upgrade rather than a fresh install
> without reformatting /usr, /var etc.

I don't think he has /usr and /var on separate partitions -- they're part of
/. This is pretty normal (and fine) practice on a desktop/workstation
machine. But yeah -- all such "system partitions" need to get cleared. (And
if you do have separate partitions, chosing to reformat them is easy too.)