Some thoughts about yum and repositories

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Thu Oct 28 19:32:09 UTC 2004

> D. D. Brierton wrote:
> >
> >      1. Yum repositories should have a mirrors.xml file. All the user
> >         need do is sign up to the main repository itself, the
> >         mirrors.xml file is downloaded, and yum tries to use the mirror
> >         that is closest or fastest (I'm not sure *how* it should do
> >         that, but lets think of this as an ideal scenario proposal).
>
> agreed

Using XML allows you to carry a fair amount of misc data.  If the repository
list had location data attached, the local timezone on the machine could get
you to the right part of the planet.  East coast USA and west coast USA could
probably use finer granularity, but choosing at random within the current or
nearest timezone could give reasonable results.