Some thoughts about yum and repositories

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 19:49:01 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton said:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 19:29, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> D. D. Brierton said:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> 1. Yum repositories should have a mirrors.xml file. All the user
>>> need do is sign up to the main repository itself, the mirrors.xml file
>>> is downloaded, and yum tries to use the mirror that is closest or
>>> fastest (I'm not sure *how* it should do
>>> that, but lets think of this as an ideal scenario proposal).
>>
>> The version of yum in rawhide already has this.  IIRC it does it using
>> the same format as up2date, point it to a text file of repos and it
>> randomly picks one.
>
> Excellent. So all I do is add rpm.livna.org to yum.conf and yum
> automagically takes care of the rest?

Umm, no.  "point it to a text file of repos and it randomly picks one",
just like up2date.  For example:

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc2
[snip]
>>> 6. There should be some way of distinguishing
>>> between a repository that is part of Fedora Core, or Fedora Extras or
>>> Fedora
>>> Alternatives.
>>>
>> [snip]
>>

>> Of course it would be nice to decide what those terms mean and to what
>> repos they apply first.
>
> I thought that was fairly clear:

The concept if fairly clear, but I have yet to see any repo labeled any of
those in the real world, or any guidelines from the Fedora on how to
advertise yourself as such.

--
William Hooper