Video capturing - Pinnacle

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Thu Oct 28 19:50:57 UTC 2004

>> with
>> >I am looking at a device as well and I have been looking at
>> >   http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp
>> >
>> >I found a site that explains how to use this with Linux and Kino.
It
>> >isn't USB but it is supposed to work.  There is supposed to be one
>> >around work that I want to try.
>> >Robin Laing
>>
>> [<Yigal>].......... The main problem
>> is the capture of analog video (I think DV devices connect directly
>> USB or FW) - and this is the case where the OS is tested. Once I have
>> use XP to capture - I better stay and edit the video there.
>> I wonder: if you buy that device- how can you be sure that it will
work
>> with the so many Linux flavors and with the future ones to come?
>>

>I own one of these devices and it works well. I use it for eporting
rough
>edits to a client's laptop.
>The device itself is not OS dependent. Analog goes in, firewire comes
out.
>As long as you have a
>way of capturing via a firewire port, you are in business.

[<Yigal>] I don't know firewire that well. With USB it's different - the
USB device is recognized by OS when inserted (hot insertion) by the OS -
and this can be done by any modern OS. The problem is how to control the
flow of the data that goes on that bus: and for that you need the
drivers which should interface to the capturing software. In my case,
the DVC150 can be use by Pinnacles' Studio software, and they have no
intention to deliver Linux software, so I assume I have no choice -
unless I will buy FireWire device, and in that case I will need FireWire
PCI card, and why not - A DV camera... quite expansive thing in order to
work with free of charge OS.
BTW - when I plugged the DVC150 to the Linux PC - I got no response at
all - with XP I am used to see the OS recognize the hot insertion.
Shouldn't FC2 recognize it as well ?