Some thoughts about yum and repositories

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Oct 28 20:10:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:49, William Hooper wrote:
> D. D. Brierton said:
> > Excellent. So all I do is add rpm.livna.org to yum.conf and yum
> > automagically takes care of the rest?
>
> Umm, no.  "point it to a text file of repos and it randomly picks one",
> just like up2date.  For example:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc2

I think we're talking past each other. What I was trying to ask was
whether when I upgrade to the next version of yum my current yum.conf
will suffice to use mirrors, or whether I have to re-do my yum.conf all
over again in order to take advantage of this new functionality. If the
latter, then that seems a shame as (a) lots of people won't alter their
yum.conf files and the problems will persist of people mailing the list
asking why yum is so slow; (b) it just seems that this functionality
could just be part of yum's default behaviour.

> >> Of course it would be nice to decide what those terms mean and to what
> >> repos they apply first.
> >
> > I thought that was fairly clear:
>
> The concept if fairly clear, but I have yet to see any repo labeled any of
> those in the real world,

Well, except for Fedora Core itself! But I know what you mean. But if
yum-arch insisted that yum repositories specified whether they were
Extras or Alternatives do you think any of the repository owners would
have difficulty giving the correct answer?

Best, Darren