Some thoughts about yum and repositories

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 20:31:20 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton said:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:49, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> D. D. Brierton said:
>>
>>> Excellent. So all I do is add rpm.livna.org to yum.conf and yum
>>> automagically takes care of the rest?
>>
>> Umm, no.  "point it to a text file of repos and it randomly picks one",
>>  just like up2date.  For example:
>>
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc2
>>

> I think we're talking past each other. What I was trying to ask was
> whether when I upgrade to the next version of yum my current yum.conf will
> suffice to use mirrors,

No, because you won't be pointing to the text file of repos.

> or whether I have to re-do my yum.conf all over
> again in order to take advantage of this new functionality.

Yes.

> If the latter,
> then that seems a shame as

Given the alternative of breaking everyone's yum.conf I think it is the
right move.

> (a) lots of people won't alter their yum.conf
> files and the problems will persist of people mailing the list asking why
> yum is so slow;

Only for people that are doing upgrades and have already edited their
yum.conf.  I would guess that most of the people complaining don't fall
into either of those catagories.

I for one don't want my yum.conf automagically edited, because I'm sure
that  the mirror on my LAN is faster than any mirror that Yum would pick.

> (b) it just seems that this functionality could just be
> part of yum's default behaviour.

It is when using the new config files shipped with FC3.

--
William Hooper