Some thoughts about yum and repositories

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Oct 28 21:20:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 22:00, Robin Laing wrote:

> I don't know Red Carpet, but will it work as a command line tool?

Yes, it has a command line tool called rug.

> This is one issue that must be addressed with any update package.

Agreed.

> I find yum works quite well.  I have used yumi and gyum as graphical
> front ends with good success.  Improve the frontend and the wheel may
> have been re-invented. :)

I have nothing against yum from a technical standpoint. I do have
ergonomic issues with it. I agree that a good graphical front end to yum
is desperately needed, but some of the functionality that I think is
missing and which I described in my original post needs to be in yum
itself.

I wonder if the red-carpet codebase could be used as a starting point
for a yum front end? It really was excellent ...

Best, Darren