Another problem when using Livna.org yum updates

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Oct 28 22:11:31 UTC 2004

Beartooth wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:34:44 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>>rpm --import http://www.fedoralegacy.org/FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY
>>>

>>Fedora Legacy has nothing to do with rpm.livna.org.
>>

>That's news; good thing I asked.

This is quite "key" to your problem.

Your subjects states "another problem when using Livna.org yum updates".
This suggests that your statement "yum keeps aborting, and I keep
getting a message saying to run yum clean" is pertinent to the Livna
repository. Even though in the body of your email you have not made this
clear.

Now, you have said this...

How do I do the latter? Fwiw, I got whatever it is that I have by doing

rpm --import http://www.fedoralegacy.org/FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY

If you look at the name of this fileFEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY it should be
fairly self explanitory that this is the GPG key for the fedora legacy
system.
In light of Alexanders statement, that Fedora Legacy is different from
Livna, one could guess that we may require another key, for Livna. Now
he didn't make this clear, but he may have made the above assumption.
But yes, it may not be obvious that each repository is almost certanly
going to have it's own key (unless they are related, like Livna, Livna
testing, Fedora Main, Fedora Updates, Fedora Testing, Fedora
Development, etc...)

Now Alexander did give you a like to rpm.livna.org, if you had have read
this several paragraphs down you would have seen this.

    GPG key

All packages are signed with the rpm.livna.org GPG key
<http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY>. Before you download any of our
packages, you will need to install this key.

If you are using apt, execute as root

wget -P /etc/apt/gpg http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

rpm --import /etc/apt/gpg/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

If you are using yum, execute as root

rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

(Should you be using both yum and apt, there is no need to run rpm
--import twice .)

We recommend that you use the apt and yum packages from fedora.us
<http://fedora.us>. Should you choose not to do so, you will also need
to install the fedora.us GPG key <http://www.fedora.us/FEDORA-GPG-KEY>.

In short, you need to run

rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

Which will import the GPG for rpm.livna.org. You will now have at least two GPG keys, the one for Fedora legacy, and Livna.

>>Why don't you read the clear instructions at http://rpm.livna.org?
>>--> GPG key
>>

>Why don't you read my .sig? Because they're utterly incomprehensible,
>except maybe to Alpha Plus Nerds. I'm only a poor retired professor and
>professional explicator of texts.
>
>Or do you go out of your way to be as nasty to the less informed as you
>can manage? This is certainly by no means the first time you've done it to
>me.
>
>If there were 10% more people like Alexander, the public for all of linux
>would soon become negligible. He should confine himself to what
>he's minimally competent at -- meaning, apparently , talking to Einstein.

Alexander is one of the most helpful people in this group, I think your
critasism is a bit over board.
Yes at times he can be "short" with people, but very rarely is rude,
please, you should also take in to account that his first langauge is
NOT english, and as such he may appear more abrupt then he would in his
native tongue.

I hope my reply has been of more use to you (but you should have got a
reasonable amount from Alexanders, if you had have takent he time, OR
asked a more specific question).

Doug