IP Addresses

Chris Marsh chris at ausmarsh.com
Fri Oct 29 00:35:52 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Stewart Nelson
Sent: Thursday, 28 October 2004 7:25 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: IP Addresses

On Thu, October 28, 2004 12:54, Chris Marsh said:

>> Now, I'm setting
>> up
>> an FC2 box to act as my website and Email server. I want to take over
>> from the Hosting Company.
>>
>> Currently, my FC2 Box is connected via the ADSL Modem and has the IP
>> Address 10.0.0.3. My problem is, how do I 'see' this box from the
>> internet?

> You need to change the settings of your router to foward certain ports.
> e.g. for your web server, the router has to forward port 80 to 10.0.0.3.

You need to be sure that the FC2 box always gets the same private address.
In your present system, after a power failure, you might have the FC2 box
at, say, 10.0.0.2.  One way is to manually assign FC2 a static IP, e.g.
10.0.0.140, that is outside of the range handed out by DHCP.  Or, if your
modem/router supports static DHCP, set it so that the NIC of your
FC2 (identified by its MAC address) always gets the same IP.

You also need to make www.ausmarsh.com point to your public IP address.
If your public IP is static, and you will be keeping an account with Hosting
Shop, just have them change the DNS entry.  If you will no longer be dealing
with H.S., you could have your registrar or a third party provide DNS for
ausmarsh.com, or you could run your own DNS on FC2.

If your IP is dynamic, you can use dyndns.org or a similar service.
Running an email server from a dynamic IP is not generally recommended.

--Stewart

ATM, My IP is dynamic. I don't have with DNS Changing etc. It's purely the
mechanics of setting up the Router to pass all HTTP requests through to the
server, on 10.0.0.3 (this will stay the same). As someone else rightly
pointed out, I have a Speedtouch 510. I've tried to dowload the config file
but I don't know where to edit of what to edit it with! I've found a manual
on the internet for this, I'll read it first...

Chris