About "How do I make XMMS play MP3s?" from a new comer

wpj wpj at mobell.com.cn
Fri Oct 29 05:42:17 UTC 2004

hi, all.
    I'm a new comer. I asked a question and got an answer in the
following link:  http://www.fedorafaq.org/#xmms-mp3

Look at No.13, and the answer is below:
13.Q: How do I make XMMS play MP3s? (Updated 23 May 2004)
A: Before I talk about this, you should know: In the United States and
some other countries, you may have to pay patent royalties to use MP3
players or encoders. However, for home users, there is no legal problem
with MP3 players. (Thanks to Doug McClean for clearing that up for me!)

With that said, the plugins for these things are usually in the
rpm.livna.org repository.

     1. Set up your yum.conf to be able to access rpm.livna.org. (See
        the question about getting Fedora software)
     2. Open a Terminal.
     3. Become root

        su -

     4. Type

        yum install xmms-mp3
2.Q: How do I install software for Fedora? (How to use yum or an RPM)
A: The easiest way to install software in Fedora is to use yum.
     1. Download this yum.conf. (Updated 29 May 2004)
     2. Replace your "/etc/yum.conf" with the one you downloaded. You
        will need to be root to do that. In fact, you need to be root to
        do any of the following.
Note that the yum.conf provided here is updated from time to time, for
various reasons.

 NOTE: The first time you run yum it will download a small header file
for each available package. This can take a long time, sometimes up to
an hour, even on a fast connection.

Now, you can see a list of the available software:

yum list available

      * To install some software, you type:

        yum install packagename

      * To update some software, you type:

        yum update packagename

        If you leave out "packagename" yum will update all your software

      * To see what updates are available, you can do:

        yum check-update

      * To search for a package, you can do:

        yum search

For more info about yum, see the yum project page. (Thanks to Ron Kuris
for this tip.)

If you want more security, I recommend that you un-comment the lines in
the yum.conf that start with "gpgcheck=1" -- you might also want to look
at the gpg signature question, if you do this. (Thanks to Kai Thomsen
for convincing me to add this note.)

To get yum through a proxy, see the FedoraForum thread about yum and
proxies. (Thanks to Reinhard Herzfeld for that link.)

To install an RPM that you downloaded outside of yum, open up a terminal
and as root do:

rpm -Uvh filename.rpm

According the two answers above, I have downloaded the file
"yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm" from http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/ and
executed it. And I have downloaded file "yum.conf" in the answer No.2,
and replace my /etc/yum.conf without modifications. Then I did as No.13
said. But I don't understand the step ( Set up your yum.conf to be able
to access rpm.livna.org. ) in No.13. The result is listed as following:

[root at localhost root]# yum install xmms-mp3
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
retrygrab() failed for:

http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
retrygrab() failed for:

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.os/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
retrygrab() failed for:

http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
retrygrab() failed for:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
retrygrab() failed for:

http://fedora.quicknet.nl/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
retrygrab() failed for:

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
retrygrab() failed for:

http://fedora.mirror.sdv.fr/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
failover: out of servers to try
Error getting file
http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/headers/header.info
[Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
[root at localhost root]#