please assist: yum strangeness, can't update anymore

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Oct 29 21:13:24 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 29.10.2004 schrieb Satish Balay um 23:02:

> > I'm using the yum.conf from http://www.fedorafaq.org/#yumconf and now I get
> > this message when I try to do an update:
> > inding updated packages
> > Downloading needed headers
> > Resolving dependencies
> > .Package vlc needs libdvdnav.so.0, this is not available.
> > Vlc is the latest version (0.7.2) and libdvdnav.so.0 is available in the
> > /usr/lib directory. The version of  libdvdnav is
> > libdvdnav-0.1.9-3.1.fc2.fr.....
>
> This is a repository problem with 'vlc' (whichever repo it came from)

The old "mixing repositories" topic. The RPM in reuqest comes from
http://tettnang.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=989.

> There is a new version of libdvdnav - but 'vlc' which is currently
> installed (from the same repository?) depends on the old libdvdnav
> currently installed. (so the new libdvdnav package breaks this
> dependency)
>
> The solution is to have an updated vnc build with the updated libdvdnav
>
> If you don't care for the new libdvdnav - just do:
>
> yum --exclude=libdvdnav update
>
> Satish

I would suggest: either use fedora.us + rpm.livna.org or freshrpms.net.
If fedora.us ans rpm.livna.org has higher priority then erase the
freshrpms.net libdvdnav package and install the livna.org one instead.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 23:10:11 up 9 days, 19:49, load average: 0.45, 0.47, 0.31