Firefox 1.0 RC1 in Fedora Extras?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sat Oct 30 00:02:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:57, Federico Tello Gentile wrote:
> http://fedoranews.org/tchung/firefox/
> There is how to make an RPM from the tar.gz binary. I did it and that
> is the Firefox I'm using to post this.

Thanks for the heads up. I've just built an RPM and installed it.
Firstly, firefox installs into /usr/lib/firefox/ which is not the Fedora
way of doing things -- it should install into /urs/lib/firefox-1.0rc1 or
some such. Secondly, it does not look for plugins in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, which is also the Fedora way of doing things;
I had to manually copy my plugins into /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
However, more importantly the same problems that beset 1.0 PR1 also
beset 1.0 RC1: namely, you cannot install extensions or add search
engines as an ordinary user.

I'm assuming these problems have been reported on bugzilla.mozilla.org.
It's too late tonight for me to be bothered checking. I'll guess I'll
have a good look tomorrow. In the mean time I might as well report this
to bugzilla.fedora.us.

Best, Darren