FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sat Oct 30 22:14:18 UTC 2004

Bear Tooth wrote:
> I've now done it on the backup machine -- which, unlike the current main
> one, actually has a working instance of Galeon. (I can't seem to escape
> dependency hell on the main machine ...) But that turns out to create a
> problem.
>
> When I try to do yum update, it looks normal at first, but then aborts
> with this :
>                   =====
> Resolving dependencies
> ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> Package galeon needs mozilla = 37:1.4.2, this is not available.
> [root at localhost root]#
>                            =====
> I have slogged through man yum and man yum.conf, but can't seem to find a
> command that tells yum to update everything *but* galeon. Is there one??
> Or any other way to keep Galeon, which (unlike firefox at the moment)
> ain't broke? I'm sure if I remove it and then update, I won't have a
> prayer of getting it back...

The version of galeon needs moz 1.4.2. There are two options for you:

a) don't upgrade mozilla -- not my choice, because I like the features
in Moz 1.7.3 and use it for all my browsing, calendaring, email, and irc
stuff. If you comment out the SeaMonkey section in my posted yum.conf
then you will have the same 1.4.2 of moz but you can still use galeon.

b) do a yum remove galeon and then go ahead with yum update mozilla
getting mozilla in all its 1.7.3 goodness <grin>. You'll lose galeon,
but if you need it back, then I *think* that Dag Wieers has an rpm for
galeon that is compatible with moz 1.7.3.

Hope this helps,
Clint "Who uses Mozilla for about everything except doing the dishes"