Another problem when using Livna.org yum updates

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 31 17:08:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:10:42 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>> > Fedora Legacy has nothing to do with rpm.livna.org.
>>
>> That's news; good thing I asked.
>
> From what did you previously conclude it to be different?
>
> The Fedora Legacy Project took over the responsibility for the Fedora
> _Core_ 1 packages for keeping them secure by providing bugfixing
> updates.

He really doesn't get it at all, at all, does he?

By chance, I've been reading Paul Graham lately, as a result of a mention
in some post which may well have been on this very list. His book, Hackers
and painters, has some remarks on empathy which are very apposite here;
there's a good deal of overlap between it and his web site, so they may be
there, too.

> Sorry if you feel offended by my answer. But isn't the first point to
> start when deciding to use a specific repository to read the
> instructions on it's main site? I would think so. That has little to do
> with skills or experience with and knowledge about Linux in general or
> Fedora in detail.

He would, yes. Spoken like a true technoid, whose name is legion; but to
echo Eliot's Prufrock, I am not Prince Hacker, nor was meant to be. Not
all minds work the same way -- fortunately ...

Since I despair of getting anything across in abstract terms, let me try
an anecdote.

A certain Nobel laureate had a classroom with a door communicating to his
office, and was teaching his favorite postdoc course in theoretical
physics one day. About the middle of the second blackboard, he said
between two equations, "So, obviously ..."

A hand shot up, waving frantically, in the back row. When the professor
finally looked around and saw it, the hapless student asked: "Back there
on the last blackboard, you said 'Obviously, ...' Is that really obvious?"

The professor looked at the equation a few minutes; grabbed a pencil and
paper; and disappeared into his office.

Fifteen minutes later, he came back. "Yes, it is obvious." And on he went
from where he left off.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!