FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sun Oct 31 18:38:12 UTC 2004

> Very odd -- the only SeaMonkey section I found, way at the bottom, is
> already commented out. And I only copied & pasted, not trusting my
> trifocal eyeballs, arthritic fingers, nor defective command of linux to
> change anything at all in the file on your website.

That's likely because the SeaMonkey release has made its way to the FC1
repos by this point. At the time I used that repo to update moz, that
wasn't the case.

[...]

> I'll go look. I note that your sample has Dag's site, commented out, under
> Alternate Repositories. Does that mean, if I install an rpm from him for
> galeon (which may be what I have, for all I know; memory like a sieve
> ...), that I won't be able to do updates on it even if somebody finds a
> security flaw?

Some users have reported conflicts when mixing repos, but ymmv. Dag's
rpm's have worked fine for me -- but I don't hit that repo with yum,
rather I go to Dag's site and grab the specific rpm that I'm after. (His
java jre and moz plugin for the jre are two excellent examples.)

> I do my mail with pine, and usenet with Pan, and (blessed retirement!) no
> calendaring at all, at all. So I want the leanest browser-only software I
> can find. (I tried epiphany, and couldn't live with its dictatorial
> bookmarking.) Even Firefox seems dead slow at present ....

Slow in what sense? Slow to open? render a page? Firefox, Moz, Konq,
Galeon and Epiphany all seem quick enough here. Can you describe further?

Clint