VDQ : Can my FC1's gnome-terminal be fixed?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 31 19:06:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:53:18 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 04:35:28PM -0400, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> But I hit a snag ...
>> FC2 has a gnome-terminal that never gets a prompt.
>
> I assume you are clicking on something.
> Tell us what you are clicking on.

A launcher on the panel.

> Most 'icons' have properties that you can inspect.
> Use right mouse --> properties and tell us what you see.

Under Basic
    Name : Terminal
    Generic Name : [blank]
    Comment : Command line
    Command : gnome-terminal
    Type : Application
    Icon : [a little monitor screen with >_ in it]
    Run in terminal box not checked

Under Advanced
    Try this before using: [blank]
    Documentation : gnome-terminal/index.html
    Name/Comment translations : [a whole great long list, none with a
    highlight, check mark, or other distinction]
    [nothing in the Add/Set or Remove boxes]
    Revert box grayed out

> Also can you run 'xterm'?

commanding "xterm &" at the user prompt in a KDE terminal emulation brings
up a terminal, with a prompt, which takes commands. (I use Gnome; but the
KDE terminal, which is very hard on my aged eyeballs, does work.)

> It is possible that something in your dot files
> or login profile is getting in the way.
>
> One common problem is the inclusion of NFS resources in your $PATH.

There you're over my head, alas!

> Also is this for all users or just one?
> Can you add a new user test that new user?

Yes. I did, and tried "su test", then telling btth's kde terminal
"gnome-terminal &". (I'll log out and back in in a minute)

It flashed a message, and opened what looks like a gnome terminal, with a
working prompt -- a btth prompt, *not* test's -- .

Closing that, I found the message still on the kde terminal:
                   =====
[test at localhost btth]$
[gnome-terminal:15784): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to the
session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason: None of the
authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed.
                  =====
It did not give a new prompt at that point. I hit ^c. It displayed a blank
line, then
                =====
[1]+ Done            gnome-terminal
[test at localhost btth]
                 =====
I told it exit, and it gave me
                 =====
exit
[1]+  Done     xterm
and then my normal btth prompt

Stay tuned. I'll log out, and back in as test.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!