PS on exclusion Re: FC1 Users: Sample .... One more problem

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 31 19:41:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:29:16 -0500, Clint Harshaw wrote:

> Using exclude=galeon will prevent *galeon* from being updated but if you
> upgrade mozilla, then galeon would have to be removed (which is a change
> from its current state). That's why you're getting the notice.
>
> Try galeon out as a browser -- if you like it then you can just keep
> using it, and leave moz alone by placing exclude=mozilla* in the main
> section of yum.conf.

I used galeon for years, till it began to get slow, and went back to it
when firefox did. My browsers typically run faster when newly updated, and
slow gradually down; if I can, I keep galeon, opera, and firefox all open
(with a separate workspace for each), with ten or twenty tabs each, and
use mainly the one currently fastest. I also keep the default browser set
to Konqueror, so that opening a site from my email or newsreader doesn't
mess up one of the main ones; and I keep the security settings (privoxy
exceptions, cookie treatment, java settings, etc) a little different on
all three (and minimal on the default); so if a page fails to render in
one browser, I just go to another.

I hit dependency hell trying to install galeon on my current athlon FC1
desktop, and just get along without it. Since the installation on the
backup p2 still has a working galeon, I use it there.

I've tried to run galeon on a mozilla-free machine; that works after a
fashion with firefox (which I believe to be in extension hell at present;
I'll scrub kit & caboodle and re-install it from scratch when all the
foofaraw over 1.0 subsides -- preferably for 1.1 ...). But it fails, alas!
with galeon.

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!