Selecting boot drive from BIOS

Filippos Klironomos PresarioD at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:14:29 UTC 2004

> An alternative approach would be to install grub on the slave and chain-load
> grub from the XP bootloader (you'd get a menu with XP and Linux on it). No
> need to fiddle with the BIOS and the XP bootloader stays on the MBR. One way
> of doing this is by using "bootpart" - see http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Yep, that's the bet approach since it doesn't break anything and
incase you need to rebuild XP you don't have to worry about possible
MBR corruption problems if XP isn't very gentle with it.

This is the way I dual boot on my laptop. Just install GRUB on the
slave driver when you are given the option and leave the MBR alone
(Windows XP has to has to has to have it!). Then boot to linux and
give the following command:

dd if=/dev/hdX of=/tmp/bootrecord.bin bs=512 count=1

This will create the file /tmp/bootrecord.bin which has the 512 bytes
of GRUB. Copy that to your win XP dir most likely 'C:' and edit
boot.ini file in the same dir and add at the end of it:

C:\bootrecord.bin="Fedora Core 2"

Save and exit and you should be all set! Here is a link:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html