Lexar CF Card Reader USB 2.0 on FC1

Temlakos temlakos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 1 16:50:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 12:32, James Wilkinson wrote:
> You've got a kernel panic. Unix-like kernels Should Not Panic: you've
> run into a kernel bug. (That means that it probably would happen on any
> Linux).
>
> The next question to ask is whether you've got Nvidia, ATi or VMware
> drivers installed that *didn't* come with Fedora. If so, there's not much
> that the Fedora or kernel communities can do to help you. All you can do
> is report a bug to whoever provided those drivers.

No. I never installed any display driver or other binary driver that did
not distribute with Fedora. I have found Fedora to be a fairly
comprehensive distribution, so that I don't have to go so far afield.

> If you haven't been installing binary-only drivers, then the next thing
> to do is to enter a bug on bugzilla.fedora.us. They probably will want
> you to provide one of those crash dumps: it isn't gibberish to them.
>
> You should find that Ctrl + Page Up and Ctrl + Page Down still work:
> these scroll back to let you see the rest of the text.
>
> Do you have a digital camera? If so, I'd recommend taking photos of the
> kernel panic, and transcribing them at leisure. If not, I'd recommend
> an old-fashioned piece of techology known as a pencil and paper.
>
> In your description, emphasise that it is reproducable.
>
> In the meantime, I'm sorry, but there's not much you can do. It looks
> like your card reader is not compatible with Fedora Core 1.
>
> You might have more luck with Fedora Core 2: a lot of work has been done
> in this area.

Thanks for the advice.

Say--do you suppose that Fedora Core 3 will be able to mount it without
a panic? I might just wait until then.

Temlakos