xmkmf and X11

I am attempting to xmkmf a nice little wireless meter for my screen but
I seem to be missing xlib. I thought xlib came with X11? I have X11 of
course, but no xlib. I have googled til my fingers are numb and can't
seem to find this answer!

Any help guys?

Also, fluxbox is a wonderful wm. My little laptop has performance now!

TIA.
--
=Guy
Fedora Core 1, kernel 2.4.22.2199, yarrow